Saturday, October 17, 2009

Current Event #4

This story that i read on CNN.com has to do with the problem of rape that has been going on in the Democratic Repblic of Congo. The number of attacks on women have increase threefold in the past few years, making it dangerous for all women in the Republic of Congo. According to a Senior reseacher in the feild of Human Rights, over 200,000 women have been raped since 1998. It is said that Congo has witnessed one of the worst humanitarian crises since WWII, they have had a death toll of about 5 million in the past few years beacuse of all the disease and starvation. There has been talks about justice needing to be brought throughout the Republic of Congo to stop these violent acts that have been occuring.

I agree with what is being said in this article this needs to have an end put to it.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/10/16/amanpour.congo.rape.documentary/index.html

4 comments:

  1. This is a strange article. That's really gross that the number of rapes is so high. They really need to do something about that. I wonder why the number is so high lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is crazy to think that such a terrible act can happen over 200,000 times in one place. I think that the Republic of Congo should really start to do something about that. Whatever they do this cannot continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the article will bring awareness to those who need it and this issue does need to be addressed so something can be done about it. The article is right if those "women" getting raped could most likely really just be yougn girls 12-14 it really does ruin their lives and war through rape sounds very wrong and it makes me thankful I live in the U.S. That is disgusting that it is tolerated in another country to be publicly raped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this is a huge issue in the world today. This really puts into perspective what real problems are. The US' big issue right now is the economy when this country is focusing on keeping it's citizens safe.

    ReplyDelete